In my office my cohorts and I love to discuss all things music. We work at a live music venue so it's impossible to go a day without discussing some topic pertaining to music including genres and techniques, cool bands and even just the industry itself. Our variance in musical taste and attitude always sparks some good conversation but one recently in particular stands out.
The Juno nominations had just been released and it lead to a slough of personal picks racing through my mind that were clearly overlooked in different categories but most notably I couldn't believe that The Flatliners' album "Cavalcade" wasn't nominated for best rock album of the year. I used the term 'Perfect Album' to describe it, which was received with puzzled looks by my friends in the office.
Much to my surprise they both were in agreement that there is no such thing as a 'perfect album' and that to use the description of such clearly made no sense. I suppose the concept of an entire album being perfect is to liken it to a god-like, platonic archetype that nothing else can compare to and could thus lead to confusion. My idea of a perfect album meets some stringent criteria but indeed does exist although very rarely. Here's that list with examples of each (which I personally have deemed perfect albums at some point in my life)
I should point out that I like punk rock which is the armpit of music genres and this by no means is an exercise to get you listening to the same music I do. That would be lame.
1. The album must be completely listenable from front to back and in any order, but is particularly perfect when played in the set chronological playlist. Perfect albums cause the listener to get lost in every song and never leave your CD player for months.
Example: Reel Big Fish "Cheer Up". I think I threw away every CD I owned in 2002 and was satisfied listening to every minute of this hour long album whenever a need for music came about. When played in order "Cheer Up" has perfect pace but holds up equally as well on random.
2. The album artwork must be intriguing and individual to the piece. Albums are still things to hold and smell and explore. I like to really finger the drapes of a good album while listening to it and if my senses aren't tantalized then I can easily write it off.
Example: Less Than Jake "Anthem". Each song basically has its own cover illustrated by a different artist and it is absolutely wonderful how each piece of art matches the mood of it's song so well. You flip through the liner notes and art and immediately connect with the album.
3. The lyrical content has to actually mean something or emotionally strike a chord in the beholder. Perfect albums don't come from bubble gum sap barfed out of the radio. There's a special place in hell reserved for records with lyrical filler. Ask yourself, did I learn anything from listening to these songs or was it amazing how they rhymed the word "love" with "glove".
Example: Anti-Flag "For Blood And Empire". Not only did this record dominate the CD player in my car for a good year straight with its bouncy grit and tremendous bass lines, it was the first time I had heard 13 perfect 3 minute protests each about different compelling political and ethical issues.
4. Lastly, and this bit of criteria is probably the most subjective to the beholder, the album should stand out as better than anything put out by the artist before or after it. There are many cases where the bands listed above have put out singles or even parts of albums that are really good, but don't compare as a complete package.
Example: RX Bandits "Progress". "Progress" completely fits all 3 previous bits of criteria. Every song is amazing, the visual layout is beautiful and every song truly conveys a message both sonically and lyrically. The Bandits really changed their music after this album and many of their fans were able to connect to the changes but I wasn't one of them.
Perfect Albums!! Use it!!!





I always enjoy reading other people's "BEST ALBUMS" type entries, keep up the good work
ReplyDeleteThanks ole chum.
ReplyDelete